Leadership Speaker Series
Sponsored by NERCHE on behalf of the doctoral program in higher education administration at UMass Boston, the Leadership Speaker Series is an opportunity for UMass Boston doctoral program students, alumni, and faculty to meet in an informal, invitation-only environment with state, regional, and national leaders, acknowledged for their vision and ability to make substantive change in higher education. These leaders reflect candidly on their experiences, focusing on a key leadership challenge and addressing two important concerns: (1) What kinds of learning and change emerged from this leadership challenge, both for you as a leader and for your institution? and (2) How did the leadership challenge reflect the broader vision for your institution? For higher education as whole?
Past Leadership Speakers:
- Mr. Jeffrey Apfel, former Senior Vice President for Administration in Finance, Rutgers University. April 3, 2009.
Click here to view resources from the talk
- Dr. Linda Eisenmann, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, John Carroll University. February 20, 2009. "Leadership Challenges at the Dean's Level: Understanding the Limitations of Authority"
- Jacqueline D. Peterson, Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students, College of the Holy Cross. November 21, 2008. "Leading Change in Student Affairs”
- Dr. Roger Brown, Vice-Chancellor, Southampton Solent University. May 2, 2008. “Sustaining the Mission: Leading Change”
- Dr. Bernard Harleston, former President of the City College of New York. February 15, 2008. "Institutional Governance and the Management of Change in Higher Education”
- Dr. Helen Giles-Gee, President of Keene State College. December 7, 2007. “Challenges to Leadership: Upholding the First Amendment at a Public College”
- Dr. Dana Mohler-Faria, President of Bridgewater State College. October 26, 2007. “Sustaining the Mission: Leading Change”
- Rev. Mark T. Cregan, President of Stonehill College. April 20, 2007. “Sustaining the Mission: Leading Change”
- Dr. Terrence Gomes, President of Roxbury Community College. February 23, 2007. “Leadership and Change in the Community College”
- Dr. Sherry Penney, former Chancellor of UMass Boston. December 1, 2006. "What Makes for Effective Leadership in Higher Education?"